Due the frequent strong winds exprienced at our location where the Bow River Valley exits the Rocky Mountains, Francis Cooke Regional Landfill has a Policy of Zero Tolerance for Windblown Litter. Loose litter is defined as any material that may be easily moved by wind along the ground or in the air. Loose litter includes but is not limited to:
- Plastic Foam
- Rigid Plastic
- Plastic Film
- Fibreglass/Styrofoam And Other Lightweight Materials
Loose litter does not include Leaves and Grass. This policy is supported by the following actions:
- Loose litter must be bagged prior to arriving at the landfill.
- Loads with loose litter may be rejected at the landfill.
- Sorting of loads at the landfill face is not permitted when winds are greater than 15 km/hr.
- When winds are greater than 15 km/hr customers may be given special unloading instructions by the scale attendant and staff at the working face. These instructions must be followed.
Notice of Landfill Operation Change
Meaning of Zero Tolerance for Loose Litter